3 Traditional Dishes with an Unexpected, Delicious Twist!Leonardo Olive Oil November 19, 2015 Cooking with Olive Oil 1109 Views
Even our favourite dishes sometime feel like they could be a tad more delicious – maybe a little more of this, or a little less of that!
Try this traditionally tasty three-course meal with these super easy, fun twists to maximize your dining pleasure. We’ve chosen the healthiest ingredients possible too, so it can be a guilt free indulgence!
Indeed, some much deserved freedom to munch!
Starter: Mini Samosas
10 samosa wraps (store-bought)
Pomace olive oil
20 small prawns (deveined)
4 tbs garlic paste
2 tsp red chili flakes
2 tbs finely chopped coriander
1 finely chopped tomato
- Fry the prawns, garlic paste, chili flakes, tomato, coriander and salt in one tbs of pomace olive oil. Prawns tend to cook fairly quickly, so only fry them for about 8-10 minutes till their colour changes to a transparent golden brown.
- Fill a little bit of the prawn mixture into each samosa wrap and seal the edges.
- Gently slide the wrapped cones into the hot oil and deep fry them on medium heat till they’re brown and crisp.
- Drain the extra oil on a tissue and serve hot with salsa!
Main Course: Butter Chicken
Twist: Serve with Soft Mini Dosas
Ingredients (Butter Chicken)
250 gms of boneless chicken (cubed)
3 small onions (finely chopped)
2 small tomatoes (finely chopped or pureed)
2 tbs butter
1 tbs pomace olive oil
2 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
1 cup milk
3 tbs cream
A pinch of turmeric powder
Coriander for garnishing
Method (Butter Chicken)
- Heat the pomace olive oil and butter and add garlic, ginger, chilli powder, turmeric, and salt. Fry for about one minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dried fenugreek, milk and chicken. Cook the mixture for about 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Although the chicken should leave a little water, add some water if you feel the gravy is too thick.
- Add the garam masala and cream and stir. Don’t let it come to a boil!
Ingredients (Soft Mini Dosas)
¾ cup raw rice (soaked for 2 hours)
¼ cup raw split black lentils (soaked for 2 hours)
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
Extra virgin olive oil
- Grind the lentils, rice and fenugreek seeds into a paste with the aid of some water. Add salt and keep aside for about 4 hours for it to ferment.
- On a non-stick pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle a little water and add 3-4 tbs of the fermented batter.
- Once it’s a little crisp, take it off the pan and add a dollop of the butter chicken in the middle. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot!
Additional Recipe: Dosa Pizza!
For all the vegetarians out there, make mini dosa pizzas and it becomes a healthy pizza twist too!
2 finely chopped tomatoes
1 finely chopped green bell pepper
1 finely chopped yellow bell pepper
Some finely chopped coriander
6 tbs chopped mushroom
Oregano for seasoning
- While the dosa is cooking, add the vegetables and sprinkle the cheese.
- Cover the pan for about 2 minutes
- Open the pan, sprinkle oregano, cut into little slices and serve hot!
Dessert: Fruity yogurt popsicles
Twist: Healthy dessert!
1 cup yogurt (dahi)
½ cup chopped plum
½ cup chopped strawberries
¼ cup powdered sugar
- Strain the yogurt with a clean muslin cloth to remove as much water as possible.
- Blend together the strawberries and the sugar till most of the fruit is pureed and only little chunks of the fruits remain.
- Mix the strawberries and sugar with the yogurt, pour into popsicle moulds and freeze for about 5 hours.
- Your pretty Plum & Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles are ready!
There’s your super easy traditional menu with a twist to bring about a much-needed change from every day, mundane meals!