All Natural Home Remedy For All Your Stomach ProblemsLeonardo Olive Oil June 30, 2015 Benefits of Olive Oil 13367 Views
It feels great to be healthy; to be fit enough to do what we want, when we want – be it work for hours at a stretch, or workout for hours at a stretch!
Sometimes though, our diets come in the way of us living an active, satisfying life. For instance, we all face stomach problems at some point- especially those of us who follow a diet lacking fibre, vitamins and fluids. These start out as being minor inconveniences but if not dealt with properly, can cause chronic complications.
If you don’t want to make a big change to your lifestyle (or simply cannot afford to right now), you can treat all your stomach problems with one simple Do-It-Yourself home remedy: Olive Oil.
Why and how it helps:
- It has a mild laxative effect that helps avoid constipation (and even bad breath)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil can quicken the production of digestive enzymes and improve bowel movement, thus making everything inside move more efficiently.
- It stimulates the gallbladder to release more stored bile juice that helps in the digestion of fats in the intestinal tract, thus helping pass stool easily.
- Olive oil also helps those of us who sometimes suffer from food or acid reflux – which is when you get that bad taste in your mouth that makes you feel that something hasn’t gone down right, or when you you’re burping too much.
- It also partially inhibits gastric motility, which means that it gives a greater sensation of fullness- allowing you to feel full sooner and thus eat lesser.
Why and How it Helps:
- Olive oil partially prevents cholesterol (bad) absorption by the small intestine and quickens the absorption of various nutrients (good) like calcium, iron, magnesium, etc
- It contains magnesium, squalene and cycloartenol, which aid in decreasing acidity within the stomach and help alkalise food leaving the stomach.
- This also helps to empty the gall-bladder more efficiently, thus reducing the risk of gall bladder stone formation.
- For bloating, flatulence, upset stomach, heartburn and intestinal spasms, Extra Virgin Oil should be consumed.
- Olive oil is also recommended in diseases where pancreatic function has to be maintained, such as pancreas failure, chronic pancreatitis, cystic fibrosis, mal-absorption syndromes, etc.
Why and how it helps:
- Extra-virgin olive oil contains , thus mimicking Ibuprofen (commonly consumed pain killer), and healing stomach pain just like its medicinal counterpart
- pylori: is the bacteria known to cause peptic (stomach) ulcers; according to research, EVOO exerts strong anti-bacterial effects against H. pylori and in much less doses than tea, wine, and plant extracts
- For those of us who prefer natural remedies to medication, eating foods rich in antioxidants, like the kind found abundantly in Olive Oil, is a great way to alleviate stomach pain caused by ulcers
How to start using it:
The most obvious way is of course to replace it with any other oils you’re consuming in your diet. You can use it to cook and bake., for a wide variety of dishes that are a part of Indian Cuisine. In addition, add the following steps to your daily regimen:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of Extra virgin Olive Oil in 1 teaspoon of lemon or orange juice and drink it in the morning on empty stomach every day until you’re cured.
- If you like the taste as it is, feel free to consume it sans the juice. If you forget, wait till you have an empty stomach to have it i.e. 4 hours or more without food.
- For severe constipation, mix 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a warm cup of milk and drink it on an empty stomach.
- All of the above
- In case of serious and/or chronic cases, take one spoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil before every meal
Soothe Stomach Ulcers:
- All of the above
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil to some olive oil, and massage it into the abdomen to soothe an upset stomach.
If you want some tips on including it in your favourite dishes, here are a few ways to infuse oil with your favourite herbs and spices.
Want to know more about the health benefits of Olive Oil? Here’s what Leonardo Olive Oil has on offer.